Make Covid Stop: Making medical equipment, together

3D printed face sheild

This is an update from the prusa face shields - they use less plastic, print faster and the clear visor material can be prepared with a standard 3-hole punch - health Canda requires the visor material to be 5ml thickness.

IF YOU HAVE A 3D PRINTER you are being asked to print this design:

Michael Garron Face Shield

We are using open source shield designs that have been approved by Michael Garron Hospital. In an effort to standardize our output, we ask printers to exclusively print one design. We are currently recommending the following:

PLA and PETG Shields

● Should be sanitized after each use by submerging in 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes

● Handled with gloves and masks and stored in a plastic bag (white bag)

Filled out the sheet here indicating you have followed protocol for sanitation AND INCLUDE EITHER A PRINT

This another face shield design - it doesn’t fit on my print bed so I can’t print it - but it looks to be quite good .

IF YOU HAVE A 3D PRINTER AND A LASER CUTTER you are being asked to print this design

3D Verkstan Shield (North American Version)-- approved by KGH Infectious Diseases

● Takes between 20 minutes and 2 hours to print.

●Advantages include speed of printing, minimal material used, flexible and comfortable design with good fit for a variety of sizes, no need for elastic straps which make for faster and cheaper assembly, as well as safer sanitization for re-using.

●There is work being done in developing a laser-cut version of this for faster output. Sourcing polycarbonate plastic board has been a challenge. If you have a connection to this, please contact the admin

PLA and PETG Shields

● Should be sanitized after each use by submerging in 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes

● Handled with gloves and masks and stored in a plastic bag (white bag)

Filled out the sheet here indicating you have followed protocol for sanitation AND INCLUDE EITHER A PRINT OUT OR A MAKE A COPY DIGITALLY AND SEND THIS TO AN ADMIN

Sanitization process

A clear plastic sheet is required for the visor, at least 5mil (0.127mm or 0.005in) thick. A letter- sized sheet (8.5” x 11”) oriented in the landscape direction will provide good protection. We have been using Mylar, Duralar or regular PET, due to its reusability and durability, but other similar plastics likely work as well. We are asking you laser-cut holes into the plastic sheets to fit the shield’s hooks. Holes are spaced so that a 3-hole punch could also do the job

To sanitize the sheets:

●submerging in warm 10% bleach solution for 1 minute - kitchen sinks are useful for this

● Rinse well in warm water

● Allow to air dry

● Fans can speed drying, but hairdryers should be avoided as they may cause deformation of 3D printed materials.

● Filled out the sheet here indicating you have followed protocol for sanitation

And of course the prusa design -

Finally a design for the headbands is being developed in Toronto to be laser cut which is much faster…they will be sending to me to test when it’s ready and I will post