Make Covid Stop: Making medical equipment, together

Face Shield for High Volume Production

As the 3D printed face shield frames are taking hours per unit, I’ve tried to design a face shield that can be produced from a variety of materials/thicknesses and on a range of tools.

Here is a link to the .dxf cutting templates and assembly videos

Our intent is to try to manufacture these in high volume with die-cutting, but they are compact enough to be made in most laser cutters. and with vinyl cutters and drawknives in thinner materials.

4 Likes

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome… nice design. What materials are you using? are you able to find supplies that make this cost-effective? Thanks for sharing.

For die cutting have you considered making the part asymmetrical so you might be able to fit 2 pieces per cut? Or would moving the adjustment mechanism make the part to dissimilar to options which already exist, there are big advantages to fitting the processes that already exist

I think there is a lot to be said for options which can produce parts at lower cost in higher volume, die cutting is a great option for something like this.

Part of the team scaling up this design. It was originally cut from sheets of 040 PETG with sheets of both that and 060 material being readily available.

Initial feedback was even the 040 was too too heavy, so we’re trialing 020 and 010 in PETG and even acrylic despite the reservations on the stiffness of the latter.

Design will be adjusted to fit more units per press.

Hi,

I would be interested in getting an .ai file. I can print on a silhouette machine. What medium would you suggest for that?

Thanks

Carren

This is fantastic. Medical industrial designer here. I have a source for PETG in Boston and am ramping up to produce in volume using a laser cutter. In case anybody hasn’t said it yet, polyethylene foam is better than polyurethane foam because it does not react with alcohol which these masks will probably be wiped down with. Adhesive backed polyethylene is available on McMaster Carr, but if anybody has a good source for 1"x1" polyethylene strip with adhesive backing that would be helpful.

3 Likes

Chlobot, you can directly import the dxf file into Silhouette Studio for cutting. Are you planning to just cut a template in vinyl or directly cutting something like 010 PETG?

What kind of thickness do you need? There are some options here that look attractive but possibly too thin? https://www.universityproducts.com/adhesive-backed-volara-polyethylene-foam.html

Companies that do cutting, printing, and diecutting for product labels do adhesive lamination as well.

Well I am trying to figure out what the Silhouette will cut. I’m not familiar with 010 PETG so now sure how thick it is.

Thanks for the tip Sheung. When I open the .dtf file it is only about 3.5x10" Can you tell me what the actual dimensions of a finished cut mask should be?

Since the foam in this design creates the offset between the face and shield, I think ~2" thick foam would be preferable. I wasn’t able to find this readily available, so I ordered this from McMaster, https://www.mcmaster.com/9334k37 along with 3M PSA transfer film, which should create a good bond and resist alcohol. I will post results of testing by Friday.

We are using .040’’ PETG and some .0012’’ PETG. Both worked well, but we are trying to find some more cost-effective sourcing options.

I just uploaded a new .dxf into the V3.3 folder, hopefully it scales correctly for you but the dimensions should be 872 mm x 300 mm

010 PETG is 0.25 mm thick polyethylene. You can also try an equivalent plexiglas/acrylic. The DXF is a vector file that Silhouette Studio may be scaling to your work area.

We used the 2’’ foam originally but we changed to 1’’ so that we could reduce the length of the band and fit the part into more bed sizes. 2’’ foam versions should increase the band length.

Sadly, this design is too big to cut with Glowforge Basic… 34.3" x 11.8"

1 Like

Here are some files I designed to use abundant materials to make a face shield. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cLbZuu8UjYOxSVF_w2CsHHP6JltG7vdL?usp=drive_open

1 Like