Make Covid Stop: Making medical equipment, together

Glowforge page protector face shield

I had the idea of using page protectors and then saw it worked up for 3d printing and CNC. I found one for CNC that blended it’s self well to laser cutting. Make these out of most any 1/8" material. The slot is for adding padding so it will be comfortable a bit longer.

glowforge faceshield

I’d include a zip but as a new user, I can’t!

5 Likes

20200405_190427

sorry for two posts, the server is limiting new users.

1 Like

I have TONS of scrap wood I would love to use to make the browbands but I am not sure we can use wood because it cannot be sanitized… can someone verify this? Thank you!!!

I would tend to agree for hospital use. Wood should be fine for personal use though.

Oh! My Goodness Mark this is amazing. Excellent job, if I say so myself. “Sam” :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you Sam, I hope they will be of use to someone!

Thanks to @dan for putting this together.

Apologies for the limitation Mark. It’s a default for public discourse instances so that spammers can’t use it for free file hosting. Fortunately after you have just a few posts I believe it will let you.

1 Like

Not a problem, I was explaining not complaining.

Hello - Great face shield!! I love it. Can that be done with all levels of Glowforge? I am new and am on the fence about buying this, but if it will protect the brave people who are on the front lines, I feel it is the least I can do.

1 Like

Yes, I use a pro but this will print fine on a basic or plus.

Princess, I am cutting my face shield frames on a basic. It works fine.

There are a couple of things to note.

• If you want high output, you need one of the other models. I don’t mean to say you can get really good output with the basic but that you can get a higher output with the more expensive models. I haven’t cut out this exact model but the model I am cutting out i get about 6 in 3 a little over 3 minutes.
  • Keep your Glowforge is a cool place, especially the basic. If you have a basement, the temperature in there will remain real consistent and cool. This should help keep the GlowForge cool.
  • The major thing that the more expensive versions buy you is a faster speed and with Pro a pass through slot.

Thank you very much, Mark and Smitty! I was going to go with the basic and upgrade if needed. I didn’t realize standard shipping was going to be $249 and I won’t get it until May 1st.

hello SmittyBuilds if you don’t mind me asking what shields type are you printing would love to help out. I have some acrylic and petg 0.20 that i can use for the shield part.
Thanks

SO2020, I wrote an article about he process on my website. You can also download the SVG file. There are two SVG files linked at the bottom. The first is just the individual frame. The second is the current file I am using on the glowforge to cut out 7 frames at a time.

I am working on a set of step by step instructions with pictures. Should be out in a day or so.

2 Likes

Thank you I was trying one that was based on the Pursha. For the frame I used Acrylic 1/8. I look forward to your step by step instructions. I would hate to waste material that could be of use to someone in need. The shield I have a file for wont work with your frame. I like your design. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you I was trying one that was based on the Pursha. For the frame I used Acrylic 1/8. I look forward to your step by step instructions. I would hate to waste material that could be of use to someone in need. The shield I have a file for wont work with your frame. I like your design. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome SmittyBuilds, I look forward to your pictorial instructions.

Have a great and safe weekend. “Sam”

Here are the instructions.

1 Like