Make Covid Stop: Making medical equipment, together

Looking for People with laser cutters/CNCs to help make face Sheilds

Hi Everyone,
Not a medical professional, but me and a friend from college have teamed up to make free face sheilds for medical professionals. We have the capacity right now to make 160 a week and are about to get access to 14 more printers which will up our ability and we can make close to 800 a week we have many contacts around the US who need these face shields. Right now what is slowing us down is the ability to make the shield part as we have access to one desktop CNC. We have the cad file for the shield made and have edited it to work. We need .03" clear acrylic, but can adjust slightly as needed. We are happy to pay for shipping costs to get these to us and material costs as well. Let me know if any of you can help.

Jacob

1 Like

What is the part you need cut?

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-face-shield

the clear part of this. However, we have modified it to work better and have a tighter fit to the headband piece. We have a .dwg (AutoCad) version of it (however we can’t upload it here) what is the best file type to send you/how do you want to get it?

Jacob

SVG or you can email me the DWG at tom@imagineform.com

just sent you an email with the .dwg

Sounds great guys. I will be happy to donate acrylic if you can provide me a few recommended suppliers from whom I can purchase with the required length, width and thickness.

I’m a newbie and have only worked with wood and leather so acrylic is a new animal to me. “Sam”

Can provide you with suppliers. Where are you located?

Jacob

So sorry, I forgot.
Smyrna, TN - between Nashville & Murfreesboro

Talk to piedmont plastics or regal plastic supply company. You would be looking for acrylic or PETG. DO NOT GET POLYCARBONATE as that will produce tear gas when cut with a laser. Our Shields are about 9.5 x 9.5 , so see if they are willing to make you 10”x10” sheets.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

I would love to help! I live in Buffalo, NY and have a laser cutter. If you can cover the materials and have connections with a supplier here that you can connect me with to provide the materials, I can start cutting the face shields as soon as I get them.

Let me know how I can assist!
Tim

Thanks Tim that sounds great thanks for your help! We are looking for .03” acrylic or similar plastic. Can I have your email and I can send the .dwg your way? I’m also happy to coordinate shipping.

Best,

Jacob

I have a laser cutter and will be happy to cut the shields
Please let me know.
I can begin immediately

Hi Jacob,

I don’t see an option to send you a private message with my email in it - the forum appears to be publicly accessible, so I’d like to avoid providing via post. Are you able to attach a PDF of the design to the forum?

What is your anticipated duration for making the shields? I found a supplier who can provide medical grade PETG, but has a lead time of several weeks.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,
Sure thing give me one second to make that for you. Unfortunately we don’t have weeks to wait to make these, as they are needed by the hundreds asap to hospitals in NY, DC, and CA. From what we have been told is that it does not need to be explicitly medical grade, and they would rather have something than nothing. A lot of people are making these using transparency sheets, but from what we have done hospitals much prefer the acrylic/PETG because they are much more protective and easy to clean.

Jacob

1 Like

See other email. We can reimburse for materials if you provide an invoice

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately it won’t let me upload because I am a new user. Shoot me an email at Jacobturowblumberg@gmail.com, and I can send you the file through there.

Best,
Jacob

Thanks Jacob, I will give them a call tomorrow. “Sam”

Thank you, Jacob! I sent you an email yesterday afternoon. I’ll send another in case you didn’t get the first one.

here and ready. how can I help? GF pro available…what thickness is desired? I am trying to source locally to find material

Hi Bryan,
.03" is desired, but we can go down to .02" or up to .04" if need be